A word of history...

 


The building which houses the Hotel d’Albion was built around 1845, in the very old village named “La Ville L’Evêque”, the name being historically associated with the church of the Madeleine. This village was built in the 13th century around the church of Saint Madeleine, and got its name from the fact that the bishop of Paris had a villa there, and organized fairs around
the church. The church has been rebuilt three times,
in 1429, 1659, and finally in 1845
madeleine
madeleine The village boomed in the 17th century under the rule
of Louis XIV when he created the Champs-Elysées.
The expansion of the city then went west, which meant
the construction of innumerable majestic hotels,
which had to be stopped by order of the king in 1724,
at the hotel d’Evreux, today the Palace de L’Elysée,
residence of the President of the Republic of France.
The village of the Ville l’Evêque became a suburb in 1702.
Fifty years later, the development of the now Place de la Concorde created a link between the city, the Champs-Elysées and the suburbs, thus constituting one of the most splendid urban ensembles in the world. The way was then opened for the great development of the northwest part of today’s Paris. Originally known as the 1st district of Paris, today’s 8th district was then becoming the heart of the capital.
In 1850, the epoch when the Hotel d’Albion was built, it was the end of the final reconstruction of the Madeleine church, and the beginning of the construction of the Opera. The Saint Lazare station was reaching its actual size and location.
As for the Champs-Elysées, it was fast becoming
a place of world renown.

st honore

 

champs elysees The World Expositions at the end of the 19th century made Paris the most visited capital in the world. Commerce and banks were equally affluent in this part of the city, which became the privileged residence of the bourgeoisie and aristocracy, an above all, an undeniable attraction for business affairs, which it has remained ever since.

The building was converted into a hotel in 1906.
It was already offering all guests of the period the very best in modern comfort, a restroom on every floor !
Under the influence of Baron Haussmann, at the end of the 19th century, Paris came to be as we know her today, and the old village of the Ville L’Evêque, which has lost its name, blends in with its illustrious neighbors :
to the west the Champs-Elysées and the Place de L’Etoile,
to the south Faubourg St. Honoré, the Grand and
the Petit Palace, the river Seine and the Eiffel Tower,
to the east the Place de la Concorde, Place Vendôme, the Place de L’Opéra and the Madeleine, and to the north
the many exciting major department stores and
the Saint Lazare station.
madeleine

 

 

françaisquebecenglishamerican
HOTEL D'ALBION - Tel : +33 (0)1 42 65 84 15 - Fax : +33 (0)1 49 24 03 47 - info@hotelalbion.net © Hotel d'Albion 2014 - Mentions légales